Friday, August 18, 2017

Why I Keep Failing at Blogging

Greenhill Winery
I will always wine, but never whine about being busy.

A quick scroll through the recent posts of W&W will show a very sporadic posting schedule, with large gaps between updates. Each time my blog efforts lapsed, I'd try and bounce back with a personal post explaining why I’ve been MIA or how I planned to get back into the blogging groove.

Despite my most organized efforts and flawless content calendar, each time of getting back on the wagon it would only be a few months before I’d fall off again.

I’d beat myself up mentally, being frustrated with the fact that I couldn’t stick to a schedule. I’d read so many blogging resources, like the WWW e-book blogging guide (which is fabulous BTW), yet couldn’t master my own content schedule.

It wasn’t until recently reading this blog post from Zanita Studio that it hit me as to why I constantly failed:

I was trying to do too much.


I had an amazing content calendar with themes and ideas for posts for 6 days of the week. No wonder I couldn’t keep up! What was I thinking?

As the Zanita Studio post brilliantly points out:

“Now, if you’re just starting out, that’s a lot of content. I don’t even post 5 days a week and I’ve been blogging for 7 years now. You probably don’t want to start out with guns blazing until you have a solid, loyal following who actually care what you have to say, otherwise you’ll be creating all this content for no one.”

As someone who works a full-time job, recently took on a second job on the weekends, and trying to make a blog work (like so many bloggers!); trying to do too much is kind of the theme of my life.

With that said, I love this blog and have so much fun working on it and I’m not willing to give it up. What I am willing to do is less. I commit to posting regularly, but less frequently (i.e. starting out with just once a week instead of almost daily), and will not mentally beat myself up if/when I don’t get to them. My new focus is trying to take on less in life and only give energy to the things that really, truly make me happy.


My new mantra: get shit done by doing less.

Drinking champagne
I'll drink to that! Celebrating my new life mantra.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k